Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Mother's Day Crafting Fun

This year I hosted a Mother's Day Brunch to celebrate my mother and my grandmother. I had grand plans of capturing gorgeous photographs of the glorious spread I created and of the amazing decorations that I crafted. Then things exploded, as the best laid plans always do. Oy.

Did I have a glorious spread? You bet! I made a smoked salmon, caramelized onion, and dill frittata. I made a spinach and strawberry salad with a chardonnay vinegar dressing. I made corn muffins, blueberry muffins, biscuits, crescent rolls, and cinnamon toast. I had sausage pinwheels, apricot and strawberry jams, butters, teas, and marshmallows. Dessert included a melon salad and my grandmother's amazing lemon poppy seed cake with coffee and cream.

And my amazing decorations? They looked better than any I had yet created. I had pinwheels for the walls and a bunting on my window. My table was layered with cloths and pretty paper table settings. I found the prettiest baskets in my collection and laid out everything in my best Martha imitation. I was thrilled with the result. I might be exaggerating how amazing they were but I was quite happy with the results. I definitely know they needed to improvement but I plan to take what I learned from this party and apply it to the next.

But I digress. There was an incident. It caused me to forget to take pictures. So it's all as if it never happened. LeSigh. But I swear it did. Sadly, you'll just have to take my word for it. I swear that I have a good reason.

The Mister and Boo had a small car accident in town while trying to get me a Mother's Day card. Shenanigans ensued. They wound up walking a mile home from the center of town, showing up 10 minutes before the first guest was supposed to arrive. My sister and I had to help rescue The Mister's car from the tow lot while my mom and grandmother watched Boo and waited for the rest of the guests to arrive. The party started over an hour late, everyone was famished, and we just dug into the spread.

Oh well. It will make a great story for years to come. No one was hurt. The car was fine. The food was just as good, even when served an hour late. Boo thought the whole thing was a great adventure. All's well that ends well, right?

At least I have a photo of the decor. Or some of the decor. What's left of the decor.


I'm quite pleased with my linen choices. I found the whole lot of them in Savers while on a thrifting mission with my grandmother. The tablecloth is a field of orange, yellow, and red flowers with green stems on a white background. It's a lightweight, summer weight, gauzy cloth and fits the table perfectly. I love the watercolor look of it. I was lucky enough to find coordinating orange runners the add a pop of color and texture to the look. They are a woven Ikea find. Lastly is a pretty yellow gingham handkerchief that I laid on top as a focal point.

The paper fans and bunting were created from scrapbook paper and worked well with the colors of the tablecloth. I found some great paper goods too!


Hopefully I'll be able to take some photos of the Father's Day Picnic I'm planning for This Mister. I'm having so much fun with this craftiness - I'd love for there to be some evidence!

No comments:

Post a Comment