Monday, July 29, 2013

Boys Need Clothes Too

I've been on a hunt for clothing patterns for boys. Aside from my stash of Burda patterns, that is.

 
My little guy, Boo, will be 3 in September. That means preschool is starting for us in a few weeks! Like a good sewist mother, I'm chomping at the bit to whip up some back-to-school clothes for his first year. Unfortunately, there are very few patterns to be found. For every 100 adorable patterns for a little girl there is 1 single pattern for a little boy. Most of them are boring. Some are just plain ugly. A lot of them use knits.

There are some adorable patterns to be found though. I found some fantastic patterns! Here is a list for reference.

Oliver + S:
Sailboat Top and Pants
Field Trip Cargo Pants and Raglan T-Shirt.

Blank Slate Patterns:
The Beachy Boatneck
The Coastal Cargo Pants
The Prepster Pullover

The Peek-A-Boo Pattern Shop:
The Hangout Hoodie
The Varsity Cowl Neck Pullover

Made By Rae:
Parsley Pants
Flashback Skinny Tee
The Charlie Tunic

Heidi and Finn:
Urban Unisex Hoodie

SchwinDesigns:
Submarine Pullover
Maxwell Shirt
NoWhere Man Pants
Number 9 Trousers

Not bad, eh? It's a great list, but it's ALL I found. At least, all I found that was interesting and fun. I'll keep adding to the list if I find more.

Another great find was Ottobre Designs magazine. I need to get my hands on the children's editions of those!

Now, there is a small hurdle. I have little experience sewing with knits. Very little. In all my years of working in costume shops, I never really worked with them. It just never came up. So...clearly I need to get on this. Boo needs cool clothes made by his mom.

I decided to dive right in and I chose a pattern from my stash as a test pattern. Burda, 9614. Cute, simple tee shirts made out of cotton jersey.


I paired the pattern with a simple blue striped knit from my reclaimed tee shirt pile and started cutting. Here's what I've got...


I need to find a neck binding tutorial next. I think I know what to do, but I really want some tips. Wish me luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment